|Published||September 2, 2022|
Join Quadratic: Build The Next Generation Spreadsheet
At Quadratic, we are building the next-generation spreadsheet to enable everyone to better understand our world. We are closing the gap between data science and spreadsheets by bringing powerful data science tools into our spreadsheet. With Quadratic, everyone can use powerful data science tools with no overhead, in a sharable environment, while collaborating with their team.
Why Join Quadratic?
At Quadratic, we are working on hard tech problems using modern tools such as: Rust, WebGL, Web Assembly, React, Typescript
We are building a real-time spreadsheet where our users can have millions of cells and millions of rows of data. Updating at consistent 60 frames per second, we give the user full pinch-and-zoom freedom of motion they would expect from Figma or Google Maps. Running Python, SQL, and Formulas in real-time with data passed between programming languages — all in the browser. If you are interested in working with new technologies a hard problem that can transform a massive industry, Quadratic is the place for you.
- Always Respectful: Zero tolerance for harm or lack of respect for others.
- Brutal Honesty, Delivered Kindly: We are realistic and kind.
- Communication is Key: We create an environment for open and respectful discourse. Poor communication kills early stage startups.
- Confidence, not Ego: We aim to create a meritocracy. Those who succeed at Quadratic do so because of their talent, not their pedigree, seniority, or self image. Ego has no place here, but confidence does.
- Fun: We don’t take ourselves too seriously. Let’s build a category defining product, and have fun doing it.
Design and Engineering Values
- Quadratic makes our users feel smarter. When using Quadratic our users should feel like they can tackle bigger problems and work smarter. After using Quadratic other spreadsheets will feel out of date.
- Perfectionists with Deadlines. Details matter, so does progress. We strongly value decisiveness and taking action.
- The tool should disappear. Users work in Quadratic for hours a day, we do everything in our power to focus the user on their work and their data. Not on our tool.
- Write code for humans. Great code is easy to read and understand. In places where you need to optimize code for the machine, write excellent documentation for what’s going on and why.
- Consistency as a deliverable. Every frame, every pixel matters. Quadratic always runs at 60 FPS, and the UI does not freeze with big operations. We would rather not have a feature than have a buggy feature.
- Generous Equity: We strongly align incentives for all of our employees with the success of Quadratic. We provide top of the industry equity compensation to make sure that you have meaningful ownership in what you are building.
- Flexibility: Remote work when appropriate and living your life is encouraged. We live our live outside of work as avid mountain bikers, skiers, hikers, travelers, etc.
- Mandatory PTO: At Quadratic you have Unlimited PTO. Additionally you have mandatory 15 days of PTO annually.
- Holiday Shutdown: OOO the week of Christmas and New Years
- Top Team: Learn from the best, we strive to have top 1% talent in every position.
Quadratic is an early stage startup with a small team, you must be comfortable working in a startup environment with a high level of ownership and limited guidance.
This is a Senior Engineering position. As a Founding Software Engineer you will architect and write the first lines of code for quadratic-core. Core is the base of Quadratic, which stores the state of the grid and transforms data based on user defined Formulas, Python, SQL and more. Core also serves cells to the front end to be rendered. Performance and reliability are critical. The success of Quadratic depends on the software that you and your team produce.
Your primary responsibilities will be to architect, code, test, and ship rust/wasm software. You’ll also be involved in brainstorming, designing, and prototyping evolutions of the Quadratic product. You’ll continuously build empathy with our customers’ core problems and better execute against our product strategy.
- Lead key architecture decisions for quadratic-core alongside the engineering team
- Ship well-tested, secure, reliable, and maintainable code within committed timelines that delight our users
- Support fellow engineers through peer code reviews and constructive discussions that concern architecture, data model, and feature implementation decisions
- 5 years writing code in systems languages (Rust, C, C++, GO)
- Experience writing Rust in production
Preferred Skills and Experience
- Experience with WASM and wasm_bindgen
- Experience with Parquet, Arrow or other binary data formats
- Experience with Conflict-free Replicated Data Types (CRDTs)
Willing to work extended hours when needed.
$120-180k Annual Salary