|Published||September 5, 2022|
Our Mission at Scythe
Humanity has lost touch with nature - we've traded dirt and trees for asphalt, and we rely on loud, polluting, gas-powered machines to care for our limited natural spaces.
Scythe is forging a new future by building intelligent, all-electric machines that unlock a new superpower: the ability to care for the outdoors pollution-free at enormous scale. From today's first steps in landscape maintenance to full-fledged re-terraforming in the future, Scythe is pioneering autonomous machinery that supports the ingenuity of humans, multiplying our power to nurture our planet.
At Scythe, you'll work with a team of world-class experts in everything from computer vision to mechanical engineering, pushing the limits of possibility and growing by overcoming hurdles along the way.
The world needs what we're building-come join us in making it a reality.
For the last 4 years Scythe has used Rust to develop its robotic platform in order to quickly build reliable and performant software with confidence. As we look to fulfill the massive demand for our fully-autonomous commercial mower, M.52, we need to expand the capabilities of our robots in many directions and are looking for talented Rust developers to bring the necessary new abilities to life.
As a Rust Software Engineer at Scythe, you'll build on-robot software that will run on fully autonomous robots and enable humanity to take better care of our planet. No previous robotics experience is necessary for this role, just an enthusiasm for building high-quality, dependable software (mostly) in Rust and developing alongside Scythe's awesome perception and autonomy engineers.
You'll work in concert with many teammates from across the company to build a rich understanding of product needs and bring those ideas to life. We expect you to be broadly experienced to be able to "see around corners", to thrive in a fast-paced, self-managed engineering environment, and to be a collaborative, low-ego teammate who helps Scythe realize its big mission.
What You'll Do at Scythe
* Develop robot mowing application software for tasks like billing, user interaction, data capture, network communication, and more
* Build frameworks and tools within Scythe's Rust codebase to help all Scythe robot software developers move even faster
* Continue improving code quality through coaching teammates, code reviews, and building automation tooling
What You Know Well
* Preferably programming in Rust but an enthusiasm for learning Rust and prior experience in compiled languages like C, C++, Java or Go could suffice
* Software design principles
* Application performance monitoring, logging, metrics and insights capturing
* How to build memory and CPU efficient software
* Native software debugging with tools like GDB and valgrind
* How to develop, test, and deploy code to users.
What You've Maybe Done
* Deployed software to embedded devices like robots or IoT environments
* Developed or used Actor software frameworks in environments like Erlang
* GPU programming with OpenCL or CUDA
* Scythe is an early-stage but well-capitalized startup. Have a huge impact alongside an awesome team of experts shipping something the world has never before seen
* Competitive salary and equity compensation
* Fully-sponsored medical, vision, and dental insurance, including 75% funded dependent coverage
* 401(k) retirement plan (non-matching today)
* Headquarters near beautiful Boulder, CO. Enjoy the bounties of nature and open spaces close to home with mountain biking, hiking, skiing and more.
* Satellite offices in Austin, TX and Vero Beach, FL
* Flexible paid time-off and remote work to let you do your best work where and when you want
* Highly collaborative learning culture where personal freedom, growth, and responsibility are valued
* An opportunity to have an incredible positive impact on the world
Scythe is a total compensation company, which provides employees a comprehensive salary, equity, and benefit package. However, only the minimum salary amounts are listed here. Scythe carefully considers a wide range of compensation factors, including education, years of experience, competencies and other relevant business considerations. These considerations can cause your compensation to vary along with your compensation mode preferences. The Rust Software Engineer position has an expected minimum annual cash salary of $100,000. The actual pay may be higher depending on your skills, qualifications, and experience. Equity and benefits packages are NOT included in this estimate. Please note that this information is provided for those hired in Colorado only, and this role is open to candidates outside of Colorado as well.
Scythe is an Equal Opportunity employer committed to diversity in the workplace. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, age, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, protected veteran status or any other factor protected by applicable local, state or federal laws.